Friday 3 June 2011

A female view on mens accessories

So here we have it! Our first female guest post from Style on the Couch, giving a female perspective on the must have male accessories this summer.  So over to you Sarah....


Writing this guest post for Maketh-the-Man, on male accessories for summer, has been a huge challenge for me.  My personal blog focuses largely on female fashion and I think I am the only woman I know who doesn’t have pierced ears (I am still gifted earrings - it is so taken for granted that as a women I must wear them).  I’m the sort of female who has never understood spending thousands on a bag and who has always preferred the perfect little black dress to jewellery;  the exception to this being anything from Tiffanys, of course…!

I recently moved from London to NYC and here in the Big Apple I’m so much more aware of male fashion.  Men in Manhattan appear to be more conscious of their personal style and the messages they send out through their clothing and accessories.  There is greater care taken in one’s appearance and a careful selection of brands that represent personal values, I feel.

Despite somewhat lacking in the accessories gene, I am an aesthetic person.  This means I know what I like when I see it and I have used this to guide me in selecting two items for Maketh-The-Man: my “must have” male accessories, for summer.

The long hot summer nights that lay ahead provide plenty of opportunity for arms and legs to be on display.  I’ve noticed a lot of accessories being worn on the wrist, combinations of watches and bracelets that I simply love to see.  There is something seriously hot and sexy about a man in a simple white tee, a hint of a tan and some masculine bracelets.  What appeals to me are bracelets that are rugged and manly, think leather and metal – but I’ve also seen lots of tribal prints and rope bracelets around NYC recently. 
M4B.JPG


Yves Saint Laurent Double Wrap Bracelet

My second selection also focuses on the wrist.  Ralph Lauren recently unveiled a series of new sporting chronographs, including one created using guilloche work – intricate engraving.  A wristwatch is a hallmark of refinement and the ultimate expression of taste.  A classic timepiece is what maketh-the-man for me, and this Ralph Lauren watch is a new favourite of mine.
Ralph-Lauren-Sporting-Chrono-Guilloche.jpg

Have a wonderful summer, everyone!

Sarah
x

Style on the Couch (a blog from a 30 something female Psychologist sharing ideas on clothes for the couch and life in general.  Brit living in Manhattan.

2 comments:

Great post. It's true that men in NY are so much more aware of their appearance. I myself would love to steal some of their accessories, like a nice Rolex watch (a girl can dream...).

Hahaha and so can a man ;) Glad you like the post. x

Post a Comment